Monday, April 28, 2008

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Who: Kerri, Scott, & Emily
What
:Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Where: Our Living Room
Why: Emily loves Tim Burton & Blood

Well Emily claims there wasn't nearly enough blood and gore. I think she needs to go see some flicks with Amber.

I'm not sure what I think of the whole movie. I liked that the main characters, (Johnny)Depp, (Helena Bonham)Carter, and (Alan)Rickman did their own singing. They obviously aren't professional singers, but they didn't make my ears bleed.

It's a tragic story of lost love and revenge, with murder and cannibalism thrown in for good fun, all while singing catchy little tunes.

I know, it's so cliche really.
There were a few times I had to turn my head, I do squirm at gore, and blood. Although it was much in the way of a "Kill Bill" movie, kind of over the top, but I'm wimpy. There were some nice plot twists in the film, and it did keep my interest.

You either love or hate Tim Burton. Yet I am still somewhere in the middle on pretty much all his movies. I think my favorite Burton film is probably Edward Scissorhands. But he's definately an acquired taste and this film is well done, I've not seen the stage play so I'm not sure what liberties they took or how it compares there. But I would guess if you were a Burton fan, or more importantly a Burton/Depp fan, you'll like it.

Feel free to Expound on my lame review.

3 comments:

Amber said...

I've been turned off by this movie - by the 'singing' factor and the 'Helena Bohnam Carter' factor (sp?). And if Emily says there isn't enough blood - then forget it!!!

Jaclyn said...

I loved this movie, I was pleasantly surprised by it. I love Angela Lansbury (Mrs. Lovett in the 1982 version) BUT, Helena Bonham Carter did a better job vocally I think. Hearing Mrs. Potts sing about offing people is just wrong, and actually quite annoying, even if Mrs. Lovett came before Mrs. Potts.

Traci said...

Kerri, I have the same opinion as you in regards to this movie. I thought the gore was over the top, and the ending sucked!!