Monday, April 21, 2008

Hairspray

Who: Monica
What: Hairspray
Where: Where do you think?
Why: Because I just bought it, I was busy working on stuff and needed something I could half tune in and listen to, a musical worked well.

Mom & I saw this at the theater. I LOVE musicals. Old, new, whatever.

I'm not in love with this movie. I think it has great new talent and the music is very good. I am still bothered by John Travolta playing the Mom, I just can't take it. Gives me the creeps. An overweight, over energetic teenager dreams of being on a local TV dance show. (think America BandStand, remember that?) Her dream comes true and she gets on, is hopelessly in love with the popular boy. She is friends with the "negro" (their words, not mine) kids and loves to dance with them, picks up new dances at detention. She finds ways to fight to integrate the TV dance show. I'm trying to love it.

On my 1-10 scale, I'm going with a 6. It just doesn't draw me in, I'm not into the characters, I don't love all the songs (I like a few).

2 comments:

Amber said...

Have you seen the old Hairspray - staring Ricki Lake (great talk show!).

I think a fat man plays the mom in the original too ...

I've been meaning to see this movie at some point in my life. I like Amanda Bynes and Zach Efron (What time is it - summertime!).

Jaclyn said...

I feel the same way. It was ok, but not enough to grab you. I usually love Amanda Bynes because her characters are crazy yet loveable...here she was just ditzy and annoying.