Friday, May 23, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Who: Jaclyn
What: Indiana Jones 4 (for short)
Where: AMC Pleasure Island
Why: Everyone else was doing it...

Ok, let me first start off by asking, "why!?"! Why was this movie made? I know a lot of IJ fans were wanting another one, as well as George and Steven wanting to make one, but COME ON! At 2 hours and some odd minutes, this could have been cut down to one hour, maybe one and a half.

It's a few years after his last "adventure/crusade" and Indy is captured by Soviets in a plot to find this so-called "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". Cate Blanchett is wonderful as Irina Spalko, the leader of this communist group. She is completely obsessed (yet sometimes really annoying) with finding the crystal skull that seems to have power over people and is somehow a magnet.

There are a lot of funny moments in this movie, including Indy finding out he has a son, played by Shia LeBeouf. But the effects are not great. Gone are the old-time stunts that made movies more exciting and in their place, CGI effects that are so fake.

This movie is not like any of his past quests because he's not looking for some typical ancient artifact (well, not really) but rather alien remains/objects that somehow have something to do with Area 51. He spends only minimal time in Area 51, but the atomic bomb testing is priceless.

This movie rips off every Pirates of the Caribbean movie and some National Treasure moments as well. Now, some may argue that since the "idea" or maybe even the script for IJ4 was started some 15 years ago, that these movies stole from IJ...but I'm thinking no.

6 comments:

Amber said...

I was counting on you to see this movie first!!! Yeah!!!

So did you like this movie or not?

I hate lame looking CGI effects!!! Blah!

Jaclyn said...

Not really. I mean, as a stand alone movie, it was ok. As a contiuation of one of the most popular movie series...a MAJOR disappointment.

Amber said...

Arg! I was afraid this would happen. I hope this movie doesn't "bring down" or tarnish the rest of the series.

With that said - I can't wait to see it!!!

Bill said...

Melanie and I really enjoyed Indiana Jones 4. Lots of solid action and plenty of humor. Maybe it isn't the strongest story, but we found it a worthy finale to the series. At least, let's hope there is NO # 5. What would they do? Harrison Ford starring in "Indiana Jones and the Mystery in the Retirement Home"...???

Amber said...

I heard that *maybe* they would hand off the series to Shia LaBeouf (sp?). Too bad the kid from #3 died ... shoot, I forgot his name ... River Pheonix?

Anonymous said...

I liked it, and I disagree with the effects, yes there was some CGI but I thought they used a lot of practical effects when CGI could have been used, and it helped to maintain the feel of the series. Overall better movie than I expected and I was entertained.