Friday, May 2, 2008

Cold Comfort Farm

Who: Jaclyn
What: Cold Comfort Farm (the 1995 version)
Where: At home
Why: Giving it another shot

"I saw something nasty in the woodshed!"

My friend made me watch this movie when it came out 13 years ago. I hated it. I didn't understand why she thought this movie was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

So, as I was going through Netflix, looking for new victims, I saw this one and figured I'd give it another try. After all, I am older now, maybe it would make more sense.

Set in 1930's England, the premise of this movie is that the main character, Flora Poste (Kate Beckinsale) ends up having to live with relatives who live on Cold Comfort Farm. Her cousins are crazy, her aunt refers to her only as "Robert Poste's child" and her great-aunt keeps ranting about seeing "something nasty in the woodshed" when she was little.

The whole family is fit for the loony bin. But, with Flora's help, they start to find their callings,(and a bathtub).

I can't say that 13 years later, the clouds opened up and the world made sense by seeing this movie again, but it was more enjoyable than it had originally been.

No comments: