Monday, July 7, 2008

Monsters Inc.

Who: Monica
What: Monsters Inc.
Where: Home
Why: B/C I bought the 2 disc version a month ago and hadn't watched it yet.

Last night I pulled out my brand new 2 disc version of Monsters Inc. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the extras on these movies and couldn't wait to see what goodies I'd find in Monster world. I decided to watch the movie first, I think it's been a few years since I've seen it.

Every time I watch a Disney movie, I am always joyously surprised about how much I adore each and every one. I have favorites yes, but they are all amazing in their own way. Sulley (John Goodman) has to be one of the most lovable characters ever created by Disney, despite the fact he's.. well, a monster!! Mike (Billy Crystal) is a hoot and full of energy, just like Billy Crystal. Randy Newman songs and music run throughout, there is nothing greater in Disney films than music that sets the stage, tugs at your heart strings and sticks in your head for days!!

The detail in these movies are fascinating when you stop to notice!! I do love Pixar despite many "old school" Disney traditionalist who'd want to shoot me with that confession. There is something to be said for both kinds of animation I believe. The details in monster world are crazy: door knobs that are horns, paperwork and posters around that are designed for monsters, the props/characters that go into the "other worlds" when the monsters step out of monster world, the kids rooms and on and on and on... It's just one of the things that sets Disney movies out of the league with all the others!

The plot: Mike & Sulley are best friend monsters who work at the energy company in Monstropolis.. To get energy for Monster world, they must capture screams of children in our world, the monster in the closet. Then the worse thing to ever happen, happens .... a CHILD gets into Monster World!!! The monsters are terrified and much chaos follows. The child, Boo, is the cutest thing ever. Her unintelligible babbles (and singing when she's on the potty) are the sweetest sounds! There are things to make you laugh out loud, a plot to be solved and some touching moments as well.

If you haven't seen the "out takes" at the end of this movie, you have missed something incredible. I think this is my favorite part of Disney movies, when the characters have out takes. Are you kidding, who thinks of this stuff?? I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! It's in the details...

Then there is the bonus material. This may very well be my favorite bonus material of all time. It lets us look around the Pixar buildings where it all happens, the secret room (that even Roy Disney has visited) is just craziness. The monkey, what's with that? You get to see how much work goes from story boards and pencil drawings, to animation and character development, to adding color, details, shadows and lightning. It's a crazy process and I have no idea how people are so creative. I am thankful they are though! I loved each and every minute of the extras and watching the movie again with commentary on. So much to soak in.

If you haven't pulled out a favorite Disney animated movie lately, do it, you wont be sorry!!!!

1 comment:

Amber said...

Side note: I did the Monster's Laugh Floor at the Magic Kingdom last week - it's hilarious!!! They've made the show better. And Mike Wysouski (with one "I" - get it!?!) is great.