Monday, July 14, 2008

Mary Poppins

Who: Amber & Jonathan
What: Mary Poppins
Where: @ home on DVD
Why: Jonathan picked it out

I've seen Mary Poppins about 100 times (it used to be my favorite Disney movie - recently beat out by Bedknobs and Broomsticks), but I realized something. Mary Poppins is kind-of a jerk!

I mean, the kids are sad and ask her a question, and all she can answer with is "spit spot". And "Practically Perfect in every way"? She's kind-of full of herself!

Regardless, she still rules! And I could watch 2 straight hours of Dick Van Dyke doing his "Step In Time" song. And Mr. Banks (David Tomlinson - also from Bedknobs and Broomsticks) rules! I was very sad when he died a couple years ago.

If you haven't seen this movie (for shame!), or if you haven't seen it in a couple years, it's worth your 2 hours. If nothing else, just watch "Feed the Birds" and "Step in Time".

6 comments:

Bill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill said...

True fact: when P.L. Travers (the author of the Mary Poppins books) was proving difficult to deal with during the movie's development, Walt assured the Sherman Brothers that the music they had already written could be used in another story Walt had initially acquired in case "Mary Poppins" could not be made. That other movie was "Bedknobs and Broomsticks".

Amber said...

Wow - I didn't know that fact. It's funny that my favorite Disney movie (Bedknobs) was spawned from my other favorite DIsney movie (Poppins).

Amber said...

Wow - I didn't know that fact. It's funny that my favorite Disney movie (Bedknobs) was spawned from my other favorite DIsney movie (Poppins).

monica said...

Owww, one of my all time favorites too!! I don't think I've seen it in a few years and since we're on a Disney kick here, I need to pull that one out this week. I love love love the extras and commentary on the 2 disc version! :)

RR said...

Love it! A spoonful of sugar helps anything go down.