Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Dark Knight

Who: Kerri Scott Emily & Mitchel
What: The Dark Knight
Where: At the crappy little theatre in Beloit, because the good theatres sell out
Why: It's Batman - and we had to say goodbye to Heath Ledger

Could be slight spoilers if you don't know the basic characters of the series, but I tried to remain vague...


I am a fan of 'comic book' movies, I am not however a HUGE fan of the first round of Batman movies. I liked them, yes, but they were rather 'cheesey.' Not to say I don't like cheesey, I'm a fan of cheesey (except in football). But I never became 'attached' to them like other movie series.

What I loved most about this movie is that Gotham was filmed in Chicago and it had a 'real world' feeling. You felt that these people, characters, and places were real. It was not some stylized green screened 'fantasy world.' That, along with Heath Ledgers brilliant and creepy Joker made the danger, and the fear seem real.

Ok, I realize there's also a guy running around in a batsuit, but it is the movies.

This was also not some over the top Tommy Lee Jones Two Face - Aaron Eckart's character was very sympathetic - even after he changed. And I liked how they created him - and the effects for his face.

Back to Heath... if you didn't know it was him, you may not have figured out who the actor was. He became the Joker, the voice, the mannerisms, Very creepy - they never really fleshed out why or who he was - but I think that was a brilliant choice. It's scarier when you don't know the villian, you don't know what's motivating him and there's no 'magic movie scenario' which will turn him back good. He is bad for the sake of bad. He is motivated by nothing more than just 'enjoying his job.' A villian with nothing to lose is one you can hardly beat.

Michael Caine and Morgan Freemen were back - both excellent actors adding nice weight, and even some comediac lines. Maggie Gyllenhaal replaced Katie Holmes as Rachel. She did a good job, but there's something about that actress that doesn't always smack for me, but I think she fell into the story nicely and it wasn't so "hey that's a different actress" through the whole movie.

I thought the first one with Christian Bale was a good film, this sequel - Tops it. I don't often say that. It could be Batman's "empire" if you know what I mean.

Go See this movie. Now. Don't wait for the DVD.

4 comments:

monica said...

I love Batman movies, he's my favorite super hero. I always hate how the characters change actors though, bugs me. Still, I will see this one like all the rest. I look forward to it! Thanks Kerri

Amber said...

I saw it last night too!!!

I have one question:
At the end, the Joker is holding Batman on the edge of the building. The (for the 3rd time) Joker says, "you know how I got these scars?". Batman says, "No, but I know how you got these ..." and shoots him in the face with his arm band thing.

Then, 2 seconds later, Joker has no marks on his face? Did I miss something, or did Batman miss?

Great movie!!! Super loooooooong, but good.

And, no offense prisoners, but I would've blown you up.

Amber said...

Two more things:

1. When the Joker did that pencil "trick" - AWESOME!!!

2. When the Bat motorcycle drive up that wall and did that thing, the entire theater said a collective "holy @#$%!" It was sweeeeet.

Jaclyn said...

The Joker was by far the best part of this movie. It's sad Heath can't reprise this role. I hope they don't replace him. I realize The Joker is Batman's arch-enemy but come on, you can't top brilliance like that.