Friday, January 16, 2009

Valkyrie

Who: Jay and Liz
What: Valkyrie
Where: AMC Pleasure Island
Why: wanted to enjoy an afternoon movie


So we saw Valkyrie today. I really wanted to see “Benjamin Button” but it was showing too early to work out for us today. Jay suggested Valkyrie and I agreed. Well, silly me. I knew that it was historical, but I didn’t realize that it would be like I was back in history class. It was one loooong history lesson.
Tom Cruise played Colonel Staufenberg, a German colonel who wanted Hitler dead. The whole movie was how he tried to get that accomplished and the consequences of his actions, after he thinks the task has been completed. I, of course, am not a big history buff, so I had no idea that some German’s tried to kill Hitler while he was in power. According to the movie, some 15 attempts had been made to assassinate Hitler. The notes said that this was the last attempt prior to Hitler’s death. Jay knows his history and said Hitler fell out of power quickly because Staufenberger’s bomb killed a number of generals and this caused a lot of problems for Hitler.
The music was good and the woman who played Staufenberg’s wife was beautiful. I loved the way they wore their hair back in the 40’s. Um, Tom Cruise did a great job, too, even though this was really not my type of film. I didn’t mind that everyone spoke English without an accent, actually I like it better, I mean who can understand those crazy accents anyway? I really liked that Eddie Izzard was in the movie too, I enjoy him. It really was a good movie, if you like historical movies.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I totally agree with you. I loved that everybody had an English accent. I feel weird saying that - but it's true!