Thursday, January 22, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

Who: Liz
What: Slumdog Millionaire
Where
: AMC at Pleasure Island
Why: I really wanted to see it,heard it was good and had the day off!
I absolutely loved this movie! It kept your attention, wasn't too violent, and had a compelling story. One older couple did leave towards the beginning, maybe they didn't like the subtitles. I didn't mind them, though from where I was sitting, I had to lean forward to see a few of them. It was really crowded for a Thursday afternoon!

This movie was about a "Slumdog", Jamal. Jamal and his brother Salim, grew up in some large city in India, they mentioned Mumbai and Bombay, but I couldn't tell where they grew up.
It starts out with Jamal being questioned about how he is winning at "Who wants to be a Millionaire". Apparently the police think he is cheating. So the movie tells the story of how Jamal knew all the answers with the flashbacks of his life.
When Jamal and his older brother, Salim are young, they live in a horrible slum and their mom gets killed and they go off and live on their own. They meet this girl, Latika, and she and Jamal bond. They are like maybe 10 and 11. Then they get picked up in a "orphanage" raid. This guy takes them to live on a "farm" with all these other kids and they have to go out begging for money every day. I don't want to give too much away, it was really intense and they got away, but just Salim and Jamal, Latika let go of Jamal's hand as he was on the train.........
The rest of the story is about the atrocities of Jamal and Salim's life and Jamal's quest to find Latika. I loved the way the present day and the flashbacks were interwoven.
It was mostly in English, except for when they are children and then most of those scenes are subtitled.
The ending was excellent, I won't tell you whether he wins it all or loses it all, but it's a movie, so you can probably figure that out!
Like I said, I really enjoyed this and can understand why everyone seems to like it!

No comments: