Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Who: Monica & Mom
What: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Where: Hiram, Georgia
Why: We both like Brad Pitt and had time on our hands.

I usually love anything starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett is pretty great as well. I should have known when I saw it is nominated for 5 Golden Globes that it wasn't going to be my kind of movie.

The movie take places from the end of World War 1 into the 21st Century. There is a bit of back and forth, putting the story and characters together. I wasn't quite prepared for where the story was being told from either, but I'll let you see that for yourself. The main location is set in New Orleans in an assisted living house and then throughout parts of the world where Benjamin Button travels.

Bejamin is born a little different from the rest of us. He is born the size of a baby, but looks and has the medical conditions of a senior citizen. As he "grows", he gets bigger and younger. The movie is the story of his life, his travels and those he meets. Love, friends, people in your life all come and go for a season. He appreciates things in a different way of course. That part of the story I liked and could have went with, from there it was all downhill for me.

I didn't like this movie at all! It seemed forever long. (159 minutes to be exact) I thought there was so many parts that could have been left out while leaving the story intact. (You need an extrodinary movie to keep me focused for that long) I didn't like the circumstances in which the story was being told and wish it could have had a different reason for the narrative. I guess if you understand Benjamin's "condition" you also know that the ending is going to have to be different than you might like.

I love movies, but this just wasn't my kind at all.
Good luck!

No comments: