Saturday, January 3, 2009

Marley & Me

Who: Monica & Andy, Mom & Dad
What: Marley & Me
Where: Hiram, GA
Why: We love a great doggie movie!!

Warning: Could be spoilers ahead~ Read at your own risk!

Marley is "the world's worse dog" as described by his owner. You know from the beginning that this movie is going to make you laugh. It is based on a true story and book by John Grogan. I tried to read the book at the beach, but couldn't get into it. (Which is odd because I love to read almost anything.) John (Owen Wilson) and Jenny (Jennifer Anniston) get married and move to Florida to start their lives together. They are both writers and work for local papers. They start their family with a lovable gold lab, named Marley!

The first hour is wonderful. If you have ever owned a dog, you will relate to almost every scene in this movie. It is hilarious and heart warming. I whispered many times "look familiar" to Andy?! I absolutely loved the first half. I laughed my head off, great fun!!

Possible Spoiler Ahead:
If you've owned and loved a pet (and even if you haven't), you know that they aren't with us forever. If you are a true pet lover, to you loosing a pet is like loosing a member of the family. I am not sure if it's because I'm emotional (aka: pregnant), we have 3 dogs of which one is getting very old and possibly near the end of her life or just that I can't take the passing of a pet in general. I absolutely fell apart the second half of this movie. I cried until I was into the blubbering ugly cry and couldn't hardly breathe, I got up to go to the restroom and try to compose myself.

I couldn't seem to get over it and continued to cry on the way home. I couldn't (can't) appreciate the first hour of the movie any longer after having been so upset by the second half. It was portrayed in a very real way. It took time, showed what the family went through and was very realistic. I know that pets aren't going to be with us forever, but I have to say that in a funny and heartwarming movie, I didn't want to be reminded of it.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Yikes - I heard it was sad, but not that sad. I think I'll pass and just read the book (to save myself from crying in public!)