Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sex and the City

Who: Alina
What: Sex and the City
Where: Altamonte 18 Movie Theatre
Why: Religiously watched the show during it's first run and now in syndication (if I'm up that late!)

I enjoyed this movie immensely! I was a little wary b/c I am a HUGE fan of the show and I had heard mixed reviews. You don't have to be a fan of the show to understand the movie but you probably should have watched a few episodes here and there to kind of get how the personality of the girls work. Knowing what happened in the series finale might be helpful too. They do give you a quick synopsis of the personalities of the each of the girls and what has happened to them from the last season of the show to the past 3 or 4 years in the opening credits so you won't be totally lost. I can't say too much of the plot without giving the movie away but it's basically picks up after 4 years. Carrie is still with Big, Charlotte is still married to Harry, Miranda is still married to Steve and still lives in Brooklyn, and Samantha is still with Smith.

I'm not going to give any spoilers away but I cried (didn't think I would) and I laughed a lot. Samantha lives in LA with Smith but she is in a lot of the movie so Samantha fans don't need to worry, she's still Samantha! There is an interesting plot twist with Miranda that surprised me. Charlotte was the comedic relief. Carrie's storyline was heartwrenching (grab the tissues) and heart warming. All four of the stars were great in their roles. They reverted back to Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda, and Samantha like they had never left and gone on to other things. Jennifer Hudson was a great addition to the cast too.

This movie was nothing like I thought it would be. It was so much better! Yes, there was some talk of fashion. Yes, there was talk of love. Yes, there was a lot of nudity and sex (they even show a penis for a split second!). Yes, it is a supreme chick flick but it was great! Some people may not like how the girls ended up where they did at the conclusion of the movie, but I don't think it could have ended any better. It was very true to their characters and the show. Viva Sex and the City!

edit:  I brought this movie review back up to the front because I finally saw it!  And it was great!!!  I'm still annoyed how these women throw money all over the place, and why does Carrie need an assistant?  I haven't seen her do a lick of work.  Regardless, it was great, and I recommend it to all.

4 comments:

Amber said...

I'm so glad somebody saw this movie! I was on the fence whether or not to see it ... but I think you convinced me.

Was Smith the same guy as in the TV show?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Smith is the same guy. I thought he looked better in the TV show but he still looks very good!

Amber said...

I guess I didn't recognize him from the previews w/ out long hair or a bald head.

monica said...

Went to see this, didn't have big expectations. I liked the show, didn't love. Wanted to see what happened, excited about the clothing. I was not disappointed. Even for someone who wasn't too "into" the show, it was a great movie. A huge chick flick (I guess even hubby woulda enjoyed the frequent .. well, you know) and great to see with friends. You'll laugh, you'll cry, great movie.