Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Kung Fu Panda

Who:  Amber, Jonathan & Jonathan's family
What:  Kung Fu Panda
Where:  @ the in-law's house
Why:  Jonathan bought it on Black Friday

Jonathan normally has a semi prejudice for non-Disney/Pixar animated movies, so I'm surprised he bought this movie (granted, it was only $9) before we've even seen it!  I think the barrage of marketing finally pulled him in.  Plus that fact that is made tons of money this summer made me believe it was a "decent" movie.

This flick was 'ok'.  But it was your typical animated movie.  It was funny for the kids, and it tried to be funny for adults.  It had way to much childish chatter.  Plus all the A list celebrity voices ... totally unnecessary!  I mean, Angelina Jolie?  There were 2 female characters, and I knew she was a voice in the movie (b/c The Soup made fun of her), but I couldn't pick her out!  Why even pay her all that money to lend her voice.  I wish there were more oriental sounding voices.  This movie was supposed to be based in China.

Ok - on to the plot:  The Dragon Warrior is about to be picked for the first time in China's history.  Po, the fat, noodle-loving Panda (Jack Black) is too late to watch the ceremony.  He managed to light a chair on fire with a firecracker and blast himself right into the middle of the ceremony.  He gets picked on accident!  Oops - I didn't see that coming!

Of course, all the real kung-fu animals (who have been training all their lives to be the Dragon Warrior) are annoyed.  As Jonathan said, "and hilarity will ensue ..."

Did I mention an evil kung-fu warrior has escaped from prison?  This evil warrior wants to be the Dragon Warrior!  Oh no, Po, the fat Panda will have to fight him!  I can't imagine what will happen next ...

It was a cute movie.  I'm glad Jonathan bought it for only $9.  I kind-of hope he decides to sell it on ebay ... after I watch all the special features.

2 comments:

Jaclyn said...

His dad was so cute. "We are noodle folk! Broth runs through our veins." Also, my favorite quote ever..."Oh! My tenders!"

Amber said...

LOL - "tenders". That was funny!