Sunday, December 7, 2008

1408

Who: LaRelle
What: 1408
Where: my living room on the new HDTV
Why: because I can

So I got this movie on Netflix because it was recommended to me based on my obsession with scary movies.
That being said.....this movie is not scary. It is based on a short story by Stephen King. But really it seemed like more of a joke than a horror movie to me.
It stars John Cusack, which is fantastic....but unlike most of his other movies, his hilarious sister Joan was unfortunately not in it. Which might have made it more entertaining.
John Cusack plays a author who is known for writing books such as "Top 10 Scariest Hotels", "Top 10 Most Haunted Towns", etc, etc, etc......even though he doesn't really believe in any kind of supernatural phenomenoen.
He learns about this hotel in New York that is suppose to have one room that is extremely haunted....you guessed it...room 1408.
Samuel L. Jackson plays the hotel manager who is determined to convince Cusack's character to change his mind about staying in that room. Since the hotel had opened there had been several dozen deaths in that room and according to Jackson's character, the room was just plain "evil".
So needless to say Cusack decides to stay which then leads to his adventures in the room. It just really gets kind of weird. And confusing. You are never really sure what is going on.
And then they throw in the whole "sentimental" side where you learn the side story about how Cusack had left his wife after their little girl had died. And that somehow gets intertwined with all the "scary" stuff going on.
So I'd say don't waste your time....especially if you are looking for a scary movie. The only thing that would be scary to me is if this movie ever actually got any good reviews.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Nooooooooooooo! I really wanted to like this movie.

I love scary stuff, and I love John Cusak AND Samuel L. Jackson. You can't lose!

I guess I'm glad you warned me. Now I won't waste my time.

P.S. Welcome back to Movie Yak L1!