Sunday, March 29, 2009

Duplicity

Who: Me & Bob
What: Duplicity staring Julia Roberts and Clive Owen
Where: AMC PI
Why: Date Night and I had a free ticket!

I wanted to see this movie because I usually enjoy Julia Robert's movies. The story was very complex and Julia was great. Clive was good but compared to her, his acting was not as believable. They just seemed like an odd match for a couple. I kept thinking she could do better. It had the look and feel of Ocean's 11 but it was not edited together as well as that movie.

It is the story of two corporate spies. They meet early in their careers and have a moment together in Dubai. Years later they reunite in Rome and New York and things don't go well... so you think. They have the most complex relationship in addition to the complexities of their jobs. The whole movie you just kept wondering if their relationship was real or were they just playing their spy parts well. The men who play the CEO's of the companies were great characters that were portrayed as crazy, paranoid, goofs. Just when you think you have it all figured out things end very different. I thought the movie was over and then in the last 5 minutes we learn things were not as they seemed.

The movie kept moving back and forth through time. This made it hard to follow, not impossible but more of a challenge that was needed. I would have loved to have seen the movie put together in sequence then when things ended go back and review all the secrets. I give it a B- or 2.5 out of 5 stars depending on which scale you like.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I'm always baffled by the name of this movie ... it just doesn't seem to make sense to me.