Sunday, February 1, 2009

New In Town

Who: Rochelle & Bob
What: New In Town
Where: AMC Pleasure Island
Why: It was the only decent looking movie at the time we were there.

Fish out of water saves small town... sound familiar? No originality here other than it was a women instead of a man in the starring role. Harry Connick Jr. was super handsome and acted very well but didn't have enough lines to really show his stuff. Renee Zellweger looked weird in this movie. She had a cute hair cut but all her close-ups made her face look morphed or something. Her character is on a career track in Miami and is sent to Minnesota to make big corporate changes in this small town factory. What do you know it is cold in Minnesota compared to Florida and she learns that these small town people have a big heart and they just can't close the plant! It was a cute story and had a few funny moments but the pace of the movie was so slow and so predictable. This would have made a great Saturday afternoon USA network or Lifetime movie. I can't believe an Oscar winning actress would need to do this kind of movie. Mildly disappointed and entertained.

2 comments:

Amber said...

You're right, this does look like a Lifetime original movie. Although that Minnesota accent is pretty funny. :0)

monica said...

I have to respectfully say I disagree 100%. I saw this with my Mom & Dad and we all loved it. I love chick flick, romance comedy kinda movies and it had all those points. It was exactly what I expected from it. It made me laugh out loud a ton and the romance plot warmed my heart. Of course it was pretty predictable, but most chick flick movies are to me. So that didn't bother me. I absolutely loved it and have recommended it to people.