Monday, February 16, 2009

Gran Torino


Who: Scott & Kerri, with some friends of ours
What: Gran Torino
Where: Showplace 16 Rockford IL
Why: We got a call, 'let's go to the movies' so we went!


I've been wanting to see this movie, but haven't had the chance to get to the theatre. I figured I'd have to wait til the DVD. I am glad we went.

This movie had a lot of funny moments, wrapped in a very serious film. Clint Eastwood plays a widower who does not get along with his neighbors, his kids, his grandkids, his priest.. you get the picture. Old Curmudgeon doesn't even begin to describe him. He's living in the house he raised his family in, and the neighborhood is now mostly Chinese Immigrants, but it's the gangs that are the real problem. He doesn't set out to be a hero, he really just wants to be left alone, and for people to stay off his lawn.

When the older cousin of the teenage neighbor (Tao) insists that Tao join his gang, things go bad. Tao is a quiet kid who doesn't know what he wants to do with his life, except he knows he doesn't want to be in a gang. There are no men in his life, his mom and sister are constantly bossing him around. He is very much in danger to being lost to the gangs, until Walt steps in.

Tao's mother feels Tao owes a debt to Walt (Eastwood), so she makes Tao work for Walt. Slowly Walt starts to warm to Tao, and especially Tao's sister, Su. In the course of events, Walt ends up saving both of them at different times from gang activity. Su and Tao do eventually befriend Walt, even against his will, he cares for them as well.

I do not want to give away the ending, it's very powerful, and in some ways shocking. But you leave that theatre with a "Wow." There was a lot of funny stuff through the entire film, I know when we watch it again on DVD, there's going to be a lot more dialogue we pick up on since there was such laughing in the theatre! But once you get to the end of the film, it was dead quiet in the theatre.

I'd heard this was a great film, although I think it's even better than I'd expected.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I need somebody to whisper this ending to me, b/c I just don't think I'll ever see this film. But I can't imagine how it will end!