Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Devil Wears Prada

Who:  Amber & Jonathan
What:  The Devil Wears Prada
Where:  @ home - free HBO weekend
Why:  We like Anne Hathaway

This movie was really cute.  Although it didn't end the way I assumed it would.

Andie (Anne Hathaway) is a college grad with a journalism degree.  She is struggling to get a job in NYC, but manages to land a job as Miranda's (I forgot the actress's name!) assistant at Runway.  Runway is the magazine to top all magazines in the fashion world.  The only problem is that Andie is 100% unfashionalbe, and Miranda is the worlds BIGGEST WITCH!

But, if you can last 1 year with Miranda, you can pretty much get any job in jouralism that you want, so Andie tries to tough it out.  Miranda doesn't make it easy on her.  Get my coffee, hang up my coat, get me this, call this person, blah, blah, blah!

Andie struggles, but get's the hang of Miranda's jerkyness.  She also decides to get fashionable and borrows a ton of clothes from the Runway closet.  Even though she is a "huge" size 6, and all the fashion clothes are 2 or 4 (boo-hoo!).  There is a great montage of Andie walking around in her brand new digs, and Miranda really starts to take notice.  So much notice that Andie is now her #1 assistant!  The #2 assistant (Emily) is pretty P.O'ed, especially when Andie is chosen to go to London.

Will Andie do the snooty thing and take Emily's spot in London, even though Emily has been talking about London, and dieting for London for the past 6 months?  Will Miranda finally turn un-witchy for 5 minutes and tell Andie that she's doing a kick butt job?  I don't want to give anything away.  I highly recommend this movie.  Even if you're not into fashion, this movie isn't so much fashion shoved down your throat.

One more thing, the Miranda character is so mean.  I'm not sure if I've ever seen a meaner character on TV or in real life EVER.  It's kind-of amazing.  Like a train wreck, I can't turn away because I'm curious to see what horrible thing she'll do next.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm going to pretend that you didn't really forget the name of one of the best actresses of all time!!!!!!
Meryl Streep :p
One of my favorite movies :D

Amber said...

Doh!!! I had "Glenn Close" on the brain, and I couldn't get her name out of my head.