Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Water for Elephants

Who:  Amber
What:  Water for Elephants
Where:  Cagan Crossing Library
Why:  1st book in the Summer Fun Book-a-week club

My friend Julie wanted to do a book club this summer for 2 reasons:  stop watching so much stupid summer TV and to read more books.  Even though I don't really read much at all, I decided to go for it.  Water for Elephants was the first book on the list.  I believe the author is Sarah Gruen (sp?).

I highly recommend this book!

The first chapter is awesome.  It details an animal stampede at a circus and a murder.  Oooooo.  Who is murdered?!?

Fast forward 70 years, and Jacob Jankowski is in a nursing home, miserable.  He's over 90 and bored out of his mind.

The chapters go back and forth talking about Jacob randomly joining the circus and working as a vet and then old Jacob in the nursing home.

I don't really want to give anything away, but Jacob has some crazy circus stories and he's dying to get out of the nursing home.  I'm not sure how accurate all these circus stories are from the 1930's, but I bet most of them are pretty true.  It sounds like a wild and wacky place to work!

I'm probably making it sound lame, but it's a great book!  I little romance, a lot of wackyness and a little drama thrown in.  I may have even shed a teeny tiny tear at the end.

No comments: