Friday, June 12, 2009

To Kill A Mockingbird

Who:  Amber
What:  To Kill A Mockingbird
Where:  borrowed it from a friend at work
Why:  2nd book in the Summer Fun Book Club

Am I the only person who never read this book in high school?

I wasn't very pumped about reading an "old" book for my book club.  Honestly, I'm normally ot a fan of "old things" or "things that win awards".  Black and white movies - forget it.  Oscar winning movies - snooze patrol!  But, it's 1 book a week, so I had to get over it.

I actually really enjoyed this book!  It confused me for a while, because the back cover said, "something about a black man raping a white woman ...".  But after 7 or 8 chapters there was no word on the rape.  I was just about a bunch of kids playing and going to school.  Not that I was excited for a rape, but where was it?  And it's not one of these cute kids is it?!?

Thankfully, this book wasn't all about a rape, it was more about a family living in the 30's (I think?).  Atticus is the father, who is a lawyer.  He defends a black man (the N word is in abundance in this book) who is charged with raping a white hill billie girl.  The trial only lasts about 1 chapter.

Most of the book is about Scout and Jem, Atticus's kids.  They are normal, smart, inquisitive children.  Scout is a little girl, who is a total tomboy, which is really frowned upon.  She should be wearing cute dresses and drinking tea.  But Atticus (a single dad) is a super smart dude, and he's raising his kids to think on their own.

Read about their adventures before, during and after their father's trial.  Defending a black man is not the normal thing to do back then, but he stands up for what he believes it.

Read on!

2 comments:

Liz said...

you have to see the movie. It is probably one of the best movies ever. Rent it one evening. Gregory Peck is the best.

Amber said...

Good point - now that I've read the book, I should check out the movie. I like saying, "that's not in the book!"