Saturday, August 1, 2009

Eat, Pray, Love

Who:  Amber
What:  Eat, Pray, Love
Where:  @ the Saturn dealership
Why:  Book #3 in my Summer Fun Book Club

This was book 3 in my friend's "Summer Fun Book Club", which I have totally abandoned for the summer after struggling to get thru East of Eden (I made it about 25 pages).

This is a autobiographical book about 1 year in the life of the author.  She just got out of a horrible divorce, and she also had a crazy lover, so she's taking a year off to travel the world.  To be honest, Liz doesn't really seem like the victim of the divorce (she wanted the divorce) and she kept getting back together with the crazy lover.  Anyway, she's about to Eat in Italy, Pray in India and Love in Indonesia for 4 months each (4 months X 3 countries = 1 year).

First up, Italy. Liz has always wanted to learn Italian, the language of love.  What better way to learn a language then in Italy!  Liz is one of those people who makes friends very easily (which I'm pretty jealous of her).  She pigs out for the next 4 months, and has many fun adventures with new Italy friends.   Liz has planed to be celibate for this next year, so no lover in Italy.

Next up, India.  She was given an invitation to join some kind of monetary (I didn't fully understand it).  India is the total opposite of Italy.  Not much food, not a comfy bed, just praying and chanting 24/7.  She does meet many interesting people in India who are also looking for a little kick in the pants thru the power of prayer.

Next up, Indonesia.  She really has no plans here.  She visited once, and just wanted to spend more time here.  She falls off her bike, and goes to a local woman who is a master healer (although, no medical training).  She finds out this woman is dirt poor, but has adopted a bunch of adorable kids.  Liz makes it her mission to help this woman anyway she can.  She also meets a guy 20 years her senior.  She tries not to get romantic, but she just can't help me.  Celibacy is out the window!

I've left out a ton of details, because I would recommend this book to women everywhere.  Men, you'll be totally bored.  I was also kind-of annoyed by Liz.  I mean, who really takes a year off from their life after a divorce?  She did touch on this subject, and made me feel like a jerk for being jealous of her.  But I stand by my jealousy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post, I am almost 100% in agreement with you